Root Canal, or endodontics, is the process of removing the nerves from the roots of a tooth. A root canal is performed on-site and is often necessary to save an infected tooth. If an infected tooth is left alone for a long period of time, an abscess can form. An abscess will show up on an x-ray as a dark spot below the apex of the root. This is actually bone loss in the jaw. It is very important to catch this problem before it deteriorates too far.
Signs & Symptoms
- Moderate to severe lingering toothache pain when drinking hot or cold liquids or foods
- Moderate to severe pain when biting on a tooth
- Sensitivity to tapping or pressure on the tooth
- Toothache that wakes you up in the middle of the night
- A pimple on your gum that may release pus or blood
- Radiating pain from one area of the mouth to another